Sunday 21 August 2011

My Fitness Story: The Addiction


I have never been a sporty person.

In fact, I would get away with the LEAST AMOUNT of exercise possible when I was younger. I used to count "dancing in clubs" as my exercise.


But I think the fact that I have had a child, coupled with the fact that as you get older *cough* you need to work harder to stay trimmer, has given me this drive t
o want to be fit and healthy. And as a result, get more toned and thinner while I am there. Why not? I think when you start to see results, it gives you that bit of motivation you need to keep going.... and going....

Rewind back to before I had Lincoln.

I was, at that time, going to the gym 3 times a week and running 4/5K each time (half walking, half running) and doing some weights and sit ups. At the time it felt like it was enough, but thinking back, I wasn't pushing myself in the slightest bit. I was barely sweating re
ally (and I now don't feel like I've done nearly enough torturous things to my body unless I have sweated and need a towel).

Then when I became pregnant with Lincoln I carried on (with care) jogging/walking/weights that were safe etc and then jogged the 5K Race For Life in Rhyl in June 2009 whilst I was 36 weeks pregnant (Below). I walked like John Wayne for 2 days afterwards.


And after that crazy idea, I stopped the gym and walked everywhere for the last weeks of my pregnancy which kept my fitness levels up in preparation for Lincoln's arrival. I strongly feel that exercising whilst pregnant is extremely beneficial to your baby as it increases the oxygen level and quality to the placenta and then on to the baby.

After the first 6 weeks of taking care of Lincoln and just trying to grab some sleep(!) I didn't even THINK about exercising again until my C-Section Scar stopped its bitchin' and so I first went back to the Gym again 6 weeks post baby. BIG MISTAKE. After carrying a baby for so long and then losing your core strength and your counterbalance tummy (the
baby), it is stupid to go back that soon. As I found out. I jogged and did some light stuff but even that was too much. I pulled my back the next day putting Lincoln's clothes away and was on Tramadol (warning! do not take! highly addictive!) for the next few nights due to absolute agony in my back!

So I left it another 2 weeks and tried again. This time I only walked. I was ok, so started back at the gym once a week.

It was all I had time for because Lincoln was such a hungry baby and I was feeding him. I used to leave after one feed, then be back by his next feed. Tiring. But, I muddled on and carried on going once a week.

I upped it to twice a week when Lincoln was about 7/8 months old and was back jogging/running half and half of a 5K.

Then, when he self weaned completely at 8 months, 1/2 a stone just started to fall off me (how kind of my body to keep it for Lincoln's feeds lol), so I started to run more and more of the 5K at the gym. But still, not pushing myself hard.

Until... a sickness bug at Christmas time (2010). I lost so much weight so quickly (not recommended but a great way to lose weight!) that I got the co
nfidence to step it up.


Not the most flattering of photos....

Before long, I got the exercise bug and started to make my runs longer and longer, eventually getting to some 16K (10 mile) runs. I was loving it. And felt really happy. I completed this year's Race For Life in 23' 40 seconds.


But that happiness began to be short lived and the day after a gym visit, I had to know, myself, when my next visit would be or I would start to get irritated and uneasy.

It was all I could think about. My next exercise session.

I have never taken drugs. But I could probably liken that feeling of needing to go, to a drug addict's craving.

The thing is, the more fit you get, the leaner you get, the more addicted you get, and the more you need to keep it up so you don't LOSE it! I mean, you have worked so hard to get it.... you can't go back. You can only go forward. And do MORE. Or your body won't feel it or see results! ARGH!

My husband hates it. I get cranky if I don't go when I'm supposed
to go, and now, I crave more and have started to do Kettle Bell Cardio and Purely Kettle Bell Classes twice a week. As WELL as 3 gym visits a week.

I did that for about 3 weeks and then wanted more. (I know). I found out about North Wales Boot Camp through a girl in the KB Classes and was lucky enough to have got a space.

Boot Camp was last week (August 15th - 19th). I felt so empowered and strong after it that I feel like I can do and achieve anything.

I will blog about what we did at boot camp in a couple of days. With horrendously embarrassing photos like this one.Yes that's me. In the sand. Jumping over some poor girl and trying not to head butt in the stomach some other poor girl!

Now I am having palpitations about potentially not being able to go to the NEXT and FINAL Boot Camp of the year (starts next Mon - BH).

I hope I get to go. If not, I think I will cry into my chocolate.

Oh. I didn't mention my diet did I? It's not particularly good. Which is why I need so much exercise.

In all seriousness, I think I have a bit of a problem. But I really enjoy it. Boot Camp was one of the best things I have done in ages. I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs and so an exercise/endorphine addiction isn't really THAT bad in comparison.

Is it?

6 comments:

  1. Whilst in a way it's not bad, it can lead to overtraining and that can be harmful to you in many ways - constant injuries, and lots of other harmful side effects.

    Also, you'll get better results moderating your diet to see results. There is only so much exercise you can do and you can never outrun your mouth really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true Kate thanks. All of this I know but refuse to change (diet wise). Think it's time I really sorted my diet out x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it a bit at a time. Small changes, and all that. Much easier to manage than a big change all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read Mary! Imagine the levels of addiction with ironman triathlon!! But with any pursuit that becomes addictive/ obsessive, as long as you maintain balance (eg enjoying your food, spending quality time with your family/friends), beating yourself up about being obsessed is more unhealthy than doing it!! We are who we are, and as long as we're enjoying it, great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jo! You're right!! But people actually think I am mad for wanting to get up at 5.30am to go running etc! Ah well... hopefully they will come around soon and I can do it guilt free! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would seriously love to get addicted to exercise. I hate it so much. Good for you for being so determined.

    ReplyDelete