Friday 19 August 2011

Poo and Sandwiches

Not together. That's disgusting. But separately? Music to my ears.

You see, Lincoln tried and most importantly ENJOYED his first sandwich the other day. We all had soup with sandwiches on a cold August (yes, you read that right. August!) afternoon, and we were trying for what seemed like the millionth time to get Lincoln to eat sandwiches. I think it's maybe the texture. I really don't know why he will eat bread, or toast, but not sandwiches. Anyway....

The point is, whilst me and my husband were talking away, we didn't realise at first his protests at the tiny triangle shapes that were on his plate and we were happily eating ours and dipping into hot soup. Then, the protests stopped and the next thing we knew he was... wait for it... picking one up!! He dipped it into his soup and ate it! Ok, he then spat the ham out, which he does for most things he has to chew that he's not sure about, but he ate it.

I only wish I had been less anal about his food from an early age and not restricted anything so now he would eat anything. Maybe. I know it's a toddler's way to not eat and refuse just because they can, but it's getting a bit ridiculous now.

I pride myself on Lincoln sleeping well (after starting sleep training at 6 months) and behaving well (after some help with Timeout), with good manners (from me droning on and on) and now on the road to being toilet trained (see below for poo stories shortly), but FOOD?! Forget it. I need help. He will only eat 2 meals.

1) His "Fish Dish" which is a good meal actually. He has had it since he was 8 months ish and is his staple. It includes Salmon, Cod, Cheese, Orange Juice and Cornflakes (trust me). All baked in oven and then mixed and divided up into meal portions. He will have this with....

  • Sweet Potato Mash
  • Broccoli
  • Carrots
  • Mini Carrot Waffles
  • Sweetcorn
(any of the above) which he has now ALSO started to refuse.

2) Sausages. Basically with lots of tomato sauce and one of the above options of accompaniments.

That's it. I have tried in vain to offer what we eat, or a version of it. But he will not eat it. And by "not" I mean, will sit there and not eat, and in his head the decision has been made that he won't be eating at all! So all he wants is to either get out of his chair, or have yogurts (which he doesn't get). He has also started to put food he actually LIKES (see above 2 dishes for what these ARE) and then spit it out after chewing for a minute.

It is beating me. I don't know what to do. I need help. And none of this, "just don't feed him" stuff. I've done that. I need strategies. I need you!

On the "poo" front, I am really proud of him. But since when did toddlers become so manipulative? I created a monster. A clever genius that plays us at our own games. After a battle to get him to sit down to do no. 2's, I promised him, if he followed through on the toilet (we've gone straight to toilet - bypassed the potty) then he will get a "Tangled" present. Since he nearly threw a diva strop in the Disney Store a month ago when he spotted a figurine set of the Tangled characters.

This perked him right up and I "thought" the promise of it would be enough.

Nope.

Turns out he will still refuse to sit and poo, resulting in it eventually escaping when your back is turned for that split second emptying the washer and your toddler running in holding the emergency downstairs potty saying "I need to go toilet". But having already "been" to the toilet in his teeny tiny underpants. *shudder*

So then we decided to, when we knew he was going to the toilet on one of his "attempts", take one of the figurines with us for when he was in the bathroom. And it worked. I have never seen that much concentration on his face in all his 2 years and 1 month. He had a poo! and he was elated with the prize.

That was yesterday.

Today, we had a poo accident because he had refused to sit on the toilet again. (after asking to go for a poo btw), but it wasn't much so I knew there was more to be had here. Sorry. I should have mentioned you shouldn't read this if you're eating. a bit later, I secretly stashed Mother Gothel down my trousers and headed up with Linc to the toilet. He barely sat on the loo when I pulled her out.

And then we had another golden poo.

So, then I go out to boot camp (blog coming about that shortly), and husband puts him to bed. When I got home, he told me about Lincoln manipulating him in the bath! After bath, we clean his teeth. He never really likes it lately and turns away. My husband went to clean his teeth and he just turned round and said "Want. Maximus." then turned back around.............

Maximus is the horse in Tangled. And Lincoln is too clued up. He knows they are rewards for poos and is now using them against us to achieve other things we want him to do!!


ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


.........................................................................he didn't get maximus.

3 comments:

  1. Nooooo way! I bloggd about Burton and his faddy food phase on my blog on weds. He will eat bread with things on the side but will not eat a sandwich! I def think its a toddler timeshare foods they normally eat but like you I cannot get Burton to,try new foods! Soooooo frustrating!
    Well done so far with the pottybtraining - I have still to start but am hoping to possibly next month!! Dreading it xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food phase is so very very common and it is something they normally just grow out of.

    So we have 2 meals we like - well thats a start at least he is eating something.

    Try to introduce new foods slowly and always make food look fun - mash potato with peas for eyes you get the idea.

    Let him help you prepare the food - let him make his own pizza for example - the more he thinks he has made it the more he will eat it

    Refrain from offering snacks in between meals

    Also if he dont eat what is put in front of him however hard it is leave it for 10 mins then remove it - say nothing - never make a fuss

    I also wrote a great post all about fussy eaters it may help maybe just a little? http://www.therealsupermumblog.com/2011/04/28/tips-fussy-eaters/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both so much! Lincoln doesn't eat in between meals but the making food interesting and letting him help make it is a great idea! and Jenny, THANK YOU!! Recently read your recent blog and I know I am not alone... I could have written that myself about Lincoln! ;o)

    ReplyDelete